Life - It's What You Make It

Last weekend I saw Julie & Julia. I wasn't expecting much to be honest. In fact, I'll say that I just went because everyone in my house was driving me crazy and the movie allowed me to get away from everyone.

Especially my husband.
Who 'might' or 'might not' have been driving me crazy.

Julie & Julia - it could be one of my favorite movies of all times. Why? Because I could relate to Julie. I could relate to being tired of my life, ready for 'life' to begin. "Is this all there is?" I often think. This? Working each day, coming home, dealing with my children, putting them to bed, going to bed, and doing it all over again tomorrow? THAT is life? What about all those 'cool' people, you know, the ones who seem to have fabulous lives - plenty of money, time, and abilities? What happened here? I remember the girl who wanted to work on a political campaign, live in Europe, and lets be frank here, marry someone with plenty of money.

Of all the things above I didn't do - I certainly didn't do the last one.

It's taken a long time for me to realize it but you know what? THIS is life. Sure it's messy sometimes, and it absolutely isn't 'exciting' all the time but you know - it's my life. It's the life I have and it's the life I've made for myself. I have a lot to be grateful for and that's what Julie learned during her year of "Cooking With Julia" - she learned that SHE was enough, that her life DID matter and that it WAS important. Sure, maybe it wasn't glamorous but it was real.

Julie realized that YOU make your life - life doesn't make you.
Easy to say, hard to believe sometimes.
Believe me, I know.

Did any of you out there see the movie?
Did you like it?
Did you come away feeling the same way that I did?

Is anyone out there?
xoxo, sober mommy

5 comments:

Sober Mommy said...

I didn't see the movie, but I am very familiar with the fact that you make your life, it doesn't make you. That is actually one of my best traits. When you come from some serious adversity, whether your fault or fate's and you remain in control of your actions and outcome that is a huge victory. xoxo

Sober Mommy said...

APPLAUSE!

Sober Mommy said...

Lu - you have living proof that sometimes young people ARE some of the most mature around. Hugs today to you and your little man.

Sober Mommy said...

I didn't see the movie, but I agree with the sentiment. I've felt this way for ages, mainly because nothing (and I DO mean nothing) in my life has gone as planned. I learned that plans? Don't matter. What matters is how you handle what you're given and how you treat others.

xoxo. Love you for this post.

Sober Mommy said...

Absolutely agree with you. You just have to keep moving forward.

Post a Comment